- Images/similes/metaphors: what picture does the poet paint? Underline places where the words give a clear image. What things are being compared?
- Words: are there words that surprise you? Circle unusual, strong, beautiful and vivid words. Why do you think the poet chose these particular words?
- Line-breaks/stanza: discuss where and why the poet broke the liens in the poem. Does it contribute to the meaning of the poem? What rhythms do the line-breaks give the poem? Do the line-breaks help emphasize certain words?
- Beginning and ending: how does the poet open the door? Is the beginning an image? A surprise? How does the poet shut the door? Does the poem feel complete and resolved?
- Repetition/pattern/rhyme: does the poem repeat any words, lines, phrases? Does the pattern contribute to the meaning? Highlight any rhyming words. Write the rhyming words down next to the poem. Do you see any meaningful connections?