BC curriculum: Grade 6 Language Arts
–> need to provide Scaffolding (Vygotsky’s Zone of Proximal Development – things kids can do with help). We are trying to help kids become good communicators and be creative. Being able to present information confidently / fluidly is an important skills we don’t really model / teach to kids.
The new curriculum is based on a know, do, understand model.
Big ideas (UNDERSTAND)
- Language and text can be a source of creativity and joy
- Understand selves and connect
- Texts have different perspectives
- Using language helps us understand how language works (kids learn language through communicating – e.g. learning through talk – trying to integrate more discussions among students instead of always being teacher-led)
- Questioning creates educated citizens
Curriculum Competencies (DO) demonstration of learning, how we know students know what they know
- Comprehend and connect (reading, listening, viewing)
- Create and communicate (writing, speaking, representing)
Content (KNOW) what students know
- Language features / structures / conventions
Core competencies: Communication
- Connect and engage to share and develop ideas
- Acquire, interpret and present information
- Collaborate to plan, carry out and review constructions and activities
- Explain/recount and reflect on experiences and accomplishments
* The new curriculum has increased focus on First People’s perspectives and technology
* Link to old (2006) BC curriculum for English Language Arts – this can be a resource, particularly for assessment planning.
- Prescribed learning outcomes <–> curricula competencies
- Assessment <–> Achievement indicators, performance standards